Storm Damage Action Steps


On the evening of June 10, 2021, Williston was hit with a severe thunderstorm that resulted in high winds, hail, and flash flooding throughout town. 

All permits from the storm damage incurred on June 10, 2021 were FREE for all City residents until July 31, 2021. From Sunday, August 1, 2021 through Thursday, September 30, 2021, a $50 flat rate will be charged for any roofing and siding permits pulled for damage from the June 10, 2021 storm.

Before signing any paperwork for home repairs, residents are strongly encouraged to take the following steps:

  1. Contact your insurance company to see if your repairs will be covered.
  2. Do not put money down if you are unfamiliar with a particular contractor. Most insurances do not require money down.
  3. Do not sign any paperwork until you get your Claims Report from your insurance company.

City of Williston Development Services is here to assist homeowners in getting their homes back together to their original condition the correct way. If you have additional questions, please call City of Williston Development Services at 701.577.8115. 

Below are steps suggested by City of Williston Development Services that you can take to protect your home if you have water in your basement and/or missing or damaged shingles and/or siding.

  1. Call your insurance company and submit a claim. Check with your insurance to see if they will cover roofs, siding, and/or flood-damaged basements.
  2. Remove standing water and dirt in your basement to dry it out. If unable to do this yourself, hire a professional remediation company to remove water and any wet carpet, drywall or wood products, and insulation.
  3. Get fans started immediately in basements that were wet to avoid mold growth. Warmer weather is perfect for mold growth if there is no air movement. If you are out of power, rent a generator or ask your neighbor to plug into their home, but make sure to get air circulating to dry things out.
  4. Inspect furnaces, ductwork, appliances, water heaters, and other electrical equipment for damage and potential replacement.
    1. If you cannot inspect yourself, hire a certified inspector for these services.
  5. Once your wet area is cleaned, consider spraying for mold to prevent future growth, and possibly kill any mold that may have already started growing. Keep the air circulating.


  1. Contractors performing work in the City of Williston jurisdiction must hold a North Dakota Contractor’s License and current liability insurance. City of Williston Development Services requires a copy of their ND Contractor’s license and liability before a permit will be issued.
  2. If you are working on your roof, ensure your contractors are certified installers.
  3. Be cautious of fly-by-night contractors trying to get you to repair your home quickly.
  4. Sign a contract with the contractor you hire.
  5. If you are concerned a contractor is unlicensed, please call Development Services and ask for Building Safety. Staff can help you determine if they are licensed and carry insurance.
  6. Be careful not to pay money down in advance.
  7. Ask the contractor for a list of references to call.
  8. Ask the contractor about his/her warranties. An example would be that a contractor provides roughly two to three years of workmanship, and 20 years minimum on his/her shingles.

The following are required for any individuals soliciting in the City of Williston, including transient merchants (individuals who engage in temporary or itinerant business within City limits), to provide their repair services in the City:

  • A State of North Dakota Transient Merchant License
  • Proof of Liability Insurance
  • Valid ID
  • City of Williston Door-to-Door Business License (IF soliciting door-to-door)

If a resident is approached by someone soliciting at his/her door, they are encouraged to ask that individual for his/her ND Transient Merchant License. Individuals carrying a valid ND Transient Merchant License means they are vetted and insured.

Individuals soliciting door-to-door are also required to possess a City of Williston Door-to-Door Business License as required per City of Williston Ordinance § 18-33 Permit — Application. [Ord. No. 988, 9-9-2014], this being distinct from the State’s ND Transient Merchant License. Read more at 

An approved Door-to-Door Business License means the individual is:

  • Signed off by the Williston Police Department Police Chief, City of Williston Development Services and Finance Department, and the City Attorney;
  • Bonded per person;
  • Has updated Liability Insurance;
  • And made the license payment.

If residents have questions about how to identify a legitimate license, they are encouraged to call City Hall at 701.577.8100.

If a soliciting individual is unable to produce the requested licenses, residents should contact the Williston Police Department at 701.577.1212.

Residents should be aware that they may receive phone calls about repairs and/or may see an increase in lawn sign advertising for various repair services. If residents find signage in their yards placed without permission, residents should contact the Williston Police Department at 701.577.1212.